For friends still waiting for a copy, here’s quick access to the half-hour that aired on JAZZFM91 on July 30th, 2017.
What: Host My Own Radio Show
- Out of the Cool, an Andrew A. Melzer composition played by Norm Amadio from his 2010 album, Norm Amadio and Friends
- Intimate Strangers, a Roger Chong composition played by The Roger Chong Quartet, from the 2013 album, Live at the Trane
- Glad, a Steve Winwood composition, played by Traffic, from their 1970 album, John Barleycorn Must Die
- Ryshnychok/Earthly Mother, a P.I. Maiboroda composition interpreted by CANO – Cooperative des Artistes du Nouvel Ontario / Cooperative of Artists from Northern Ontario, on their 1978 album, Eclipse
- The Aged Paulownia Hides Its Melody (Freestyle Ver.) (동천련로 항장곡 [산조 Ver.]) from The Painter of the Wind Soundtrack, 2008.
David Burt – acoustic guitar, electric guitar
John Doerr – electric bass, trombone, programming
Wasyl Kohut – electric violin, mandolin and, for this track, a violin courtesy of Remedy Music in Toronto.
Michael Kendel – grand piano, electric piano, synthesizer, vocals
Marcel Aymar – vocals, acoustic guitar
Michel Dasti – drums, percussion
- Take Five, composed by Paul Desmond and played by the Dave Brubeck Quartet on their iconic album, Time Out, 1959. Also check out the 2002 version by Donald Harrison, featuring Christian Scott and Eric Reed, on Real Life Stories.
- The Hipster, composed and played by Harold McNair and other musicians on Harold’s 1968 self-titled album.
- Sentimental Walk / Promenade Sentimentale, composed and played by Vladimir Cosma on the Original Soundtrack for Diva, 1981.
- Last Train Home, composed by Pat Metheny and played by the Pat Metheny Group on Still Life (Talking), 1987.
- Skating, composed by Vince Guaraldi and Lee Mendelson, played by David Benoit, Remembering Christmas, 1996.
- Wade in the Water, composed by Ramsey Lewis and played by the Ramsey Lewis Trio on Ramsey Lewis’s Finest Hour, 2000.
- Café by the Sea, composed and played by Kevin Laliberté on the album Siesta, 2006.
- Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, composed and played by Riuichi Sakamoto on Playing the Piano, 2009.
- Magnolia, composed and played by Mirko Signorile from the album of the same name, 2012.
- Kingdom Come by The Soul Jazz Orchestra on Inner Fire, 2014.
- Santiago by the Preservation Hall Jazz Band from their album So it Is, 2017.
You are cordially invited to listen as I take to the airwaves and guest-host a half-hour of instrumental music with wonderful co-host Dani Elwell and ace producer William Heaton at Jazz FM91. Mark your calendars for:
For a great example of oral story-telling, check out Radio Deluxe’s broadcast of John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey’s concert at the Valley Performing Arts Center on the campus of Cal State Northridge in Los Angeles, recorded live April 9th, 2016. Download Show. After the first two songs, John tells the story of how he came to record Midnight McCartney.
I’d previously heard him tell the same story on the Radio Deluxe program taped at John and Jessica’s home in New York, but this live version is even more hilarious. John lays it on thick and hits all the right notes.
A shout out to Jazz FM 91 in Toronto for airing this program every Sunday morning at 9 am.